About Reframe Labs
Reframe Labs is a nonprofit organization that supports diverse leaders to design and launch innovative public schools in Los Angeles. We run a series of staged programs—labs—that prepare aspiring school launchers for success. Every lab is marked by a deep focus on innovation and equity, serving as on-ramps that lead to a fellowship experience complete with coaching, capital, connections, capacity, and advocacy. Of our 47 Beta Lab alumni over the past year, 94% are women or leaders of color (with 70% leaders of color). In partnership with these leaders, we are currently incubating 12 new public schools through fall 2020, representing approximately 6,000 new seats at capacity. Read our Reframe Manifesto for more background about why we do what we do.
We seek a VP of Creative & Communications to join our fun, passionate, and dedicated team. You are a former journalist (and perhaps even a K-12 teacher too) with proven experience as a content creator, storyteller, and brand builder. You will tell the powerful stories of the incredible leaders in our community, be in charge of the look and feel of our brand, and ensure Reframe’s reputation is maintained and enhanced across all media including social and digital platforms.
Responsibilities and Duties
Your specific mix of responsibilities will evolve over time but will initially include:
- Content Production & Marketing (65%)
- Create value-add, original content that tells our stories for distribution via social media, website, blogs, and different news platforms (content includes news releases, blog posts, web content, social media content, media kits, media pitches, media alerts, media statements, talking points, crisis management, etc.).
- Enhance our recruitment efforts by devising creative ways to connect with and cultivate school launch prospects; includes designing compelling and persuasive content for marketing brochures and other marketing collateral.
- Strengthen Reframe’s brand by rapidly growing social media following and managing message creation on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Craft targeted marketing campaigns on Google AdWords to bolster lower-touch recruiting efforts.
- Learn and experiment with new tools to deepen emotional connection of followers (i.e. Virtual Reality, 360 videos, podcasts, etc).
- User Experience Design (25%)
- Understand prospective school launchers: interviews, user testing, validation, personas.
- Optimize how we interact with users: improve usability of our services (i.e. create user flows & navigation, organize screen real estate, wireframing & prototyping, etc).
- Create brand personality and look/feel; maximize aesthetic, info-conveying capabilities of all Reframe materials (i.e. visually appealing, simple, elegant, a joy/delight to use).
- Public Relations (10%)
- Field inquiries from stakeholders including journalists, Reframe alumni, and other key stakeholders, developing effective internal and external relationships.
- Be current on leading challenges, issues, new thinking and personalities in the education sector that are relevant to achieving Reframe’s mission.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local media outlets.
This role is based in Los Angeles. Most of our programs and events occur on evenings and weekends to accommodate the schedules of educators who are exploring school launch (i.e. we are side-hustler friendly). We estimate 5-10% travel requirements outside of Los Angeles for school visits, conferences, and other learning excursions/opportunities.
Qualifications and Skills
- A former journalist and/or K-12 teacher familiar with the joys and challenges of K-12 teaching, learning, and politics
- A love for narrative and storytelling.
- A deep professional network with education organizations throughout Los Angeles County.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with strong creative skills.
- A hyper-focus on execution and follow-through.
- Personal presence and communication skills to represent Reframe in diverse forums and organizational relationships
- Demonstrated personal commitment to improving public education, to diversity & inclusiveness, and to finding creative ways to improve upon traditional structures.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, and own high-priority tasks and projects with minimal guidance and support.
- Working style suited to thriving in a small-office setting with limited support staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued.
Benefits and Perks
- Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience
- A comprehensive benefits package with 90% employer contribution for employee-selected medical, dental, and vision insurance offerings
- Unlimited vacation policy
- 401k retirement plan, with 100% employer matching on first 5% of employee contributions
- 20% time to work on innovative projects of their choosing
- Technology stipend
- Mileage allowance
- A continuous learning program through which you can order 12 books from Amazon per year
- Free parking